Office of Emergency Management coordinates response and recovery activities by implementing emergency response plans during and after disasters. This requires support and assistance from other Gila River Indian Community departments.
A disaster can strike at any time, any location with little or no notice. These disasters or emergencies create significant impact on life safety, cause property damage, and economic hardship to individuals and the Community. Community departments, in response to a disaster will take action to mobilize and utilize resource to save and protect lives, property and resources.
The Office of Emergency Management provides coordination and support to first responders and the Community during a disaster by;
- Preparing for disasters
- Responding to emergencies
- Recovering from a disaster
- Lessening the impact when a disaster strikes
The Office of Emergency Management also provides many other services to the Community including;
- Collaboration, facilitation and support of Gila River Indian Community services during a disaster
- Disaster Preparedness
- Community Emergency Plans
- Community Right to Know
How the Office of Emergency Management Will Attain These Goals
The Office of Emergency Management collaborates with all of our partners and stakeholders to ensure our Community is prepared for natural or man-made disaster that may strike. We can only achieve this by ensuring we are all working together with a common goal of emergency preparedness. To that end, the GRIC is currently working on ensuring we are doing all we can do to ensure readiness. We want everyone to know that we are prepared!
Although our efforts are for all of the community, we think it is important to put a focus of effort to our children, special needs, and elders. They will be a priority in our emergency planning efforts. In addition, we strive to provide our community with the latest information available on how best to be prepared or what to do in the case of an emergency. This includes information that educates people of where to go in the event of an emergency in their neighborhood. This may include how best to shelter in your home or where to go where it is safe. The goal is also to ensure, regardless of the situation, that Gila River Indian Community’s vital services are restored as quickly as possible.
The key outcome of this emergency planning is that our community has the confidence that we are prepared for whatever issue we face.
- People will continue to work together as they already are
- The community understands that the GRIC is ready and prepared
- Our emphasis will be our children, special needs and elders
- Information is readily available on emergency preparedness
- Evacuation areas are identified and ready, including being able to protect in place.
- GRIC strives to ensure key services continue to be provided or restored
Planning for an Emergency
A key to ensure good planning is identifying the critical components of the emergency plan. The Gila River Indian Community has several critical areas that need to be addressed as part of its emergency planning. As most people can self evacuate and seek help, a portion of our population, children, special needs, and our elders can at times not be able to protect themselves. Because of this, all emergency planning will take into consideration these community members first and foremost.
It is also important to realize that in the event of a significant incident, resources may not be immediately available. Therefore public education and an outreach plan must be a part of our preparedness. This includes putting together a volunteer management program that involves being able to use just-in-time volunteers by training citizens on how the can help each other through CERT. Be getting the general population educated, critical resources can be used for the most critical needs.
The Gila River Indian Community must also do its due diligence in preparing for large scale events. This is best completed by ensuring key emergency operations plans are in place for Gila River Indian Community Departments and that these Departments through the MACS group are well trained and work well with each other. These activities ensure that our critical infrastructure is protected or at a minimum a plan for restoration is in place. This will ensure the community is able to recover from an incident with minimal delay. Our business enterprises and businesses located within Gila River Indian Community also need plans in place to ensure we continue or minimize the economic impact to the community when recovering from a disaster.
- Special needs, youth and elders are a focus area for all plans
- There is public education and outreach plan
- A volunteer plan is in place
- Emergency planning has occurred at all levels within GRIC
- MACS group works well with each other and properly trained
- There is a training plan in place for GRIC Departments
- Infrastructure is protected to ensure vital services are delivered
- The economic impact to the community from disasters is minimized
Key Activities for Emergency Preparedness
The outcome of any good plan includes key activities for the Gila River Indian Community. Those outcomes have been identified and are the strategic areas including; 1) Emergency Operations Plans, 2) Multi-agency coordination system collaboration, 3) Public Education/Outreach for Emergency Preparedness, 4) Youth/Elders/Special Needs Requirements, 5) Emergency Preparedness Training Plan, 6) Identify Critical Infrastructure and Community Assets
Key activity areas and associated objectives
1) Emergency Operation Plans
- Review and update the GRIC Multi-Hazard EOP
- Review and update the GRIC Hazard Mitigation plan
- Implement the Pandemic Influenza Response Plan
- Review and updated the Chemical Emergency Response Plan
- Review and update the DREAP
- Review and updated the GRIC District EOP
- Develop a Department of Rehabilitation Services EOP
- Review and revise the Department of Public Works EOP
- Train and exercise plans through the MACS
- Implement a COG/COOP process for GRIC
2) Multi-Agency Coordination System Workgroup
- Develop a workgroup training program to ensure NIMS Compliance in the Community
- Develop a COOP for key departments
- Identify support needs for MACS
- Communication and multi-media needs for GRIC MACS and Community
- Identify technology requirements
3) Public Education/Outreach for Emergency Preparedness
- Review, research and develop GRIC specific emergency preparedness literature
- Develop a public education plan
- Identify and purchase learning aids for emergency preparedness
- Identify communication methods for the community
- Develop communication plan for emergencies (ie; reverse 911)
- Identify OEM as a focal point for emergency preparedness information
- Integrate GRIC schools into MAC
- Ensure school system has in place an EOP
4) Youth/Elders/Special Needs Requirements
- Develop specific plans to address communication, evacuation, and protect in place for this group
- Identify location of youth/elders/special needs for the purpose of planning
- Develop an outreach plan for this group
5) Emergency Preparedness Training Plan
- Identify NIMS requirements for GRIC
- Have in place CBRNE plans
- Create a mass casualty & triage plan
- Implement a train the trainer program to internalize training expertise
6) Identify Critical Infrastructure and Community Assets
- Ensure emergency plans are in place for community lifelines
- Identify current issues with a needs assessment
Multi-Agency Coordination System (MACS)
Mission: The Gila River India Community’s Multi-Agency Coordination System (MACS) is comprised of key Departments and staff. The ideal goal for the GRIC MACS is to become a seamless Community Support Team for all phases of community preparedness, emergency response and provide outreach opportunities to prepare the community.
MACS Objectives: Collaborate on all facets of emergency preparedness. Prepare MACS members to be ready for significant events. Have in place a current multi-hazard emergency operations plan for the GRIC and other required community emergency plans. Develop, train and exercise together in order to promote communication, collaboration and cooperation. Promote Community education and preparedness for the Community & MACS.
Emergency Resources Guide
Resource Management is the efficient and effective deployment of an organization's resources when they are needed, especially during emergencies. Resources may include items such as; tools, emergency repair materials, sandbags, emergency generators and other items.
The goal is to ensure that there are tools and supplies necessary for emergency projects, equipment is available typically used during emergencies available in sufficient number, and these items can be provided to the workforce in a reasonable timeframe.
As part of this process, the OEM has developed a Resource Catalog and associated forms to be used in requesting tools, supplies, and equipment.